National Cooperative Dairy Federation of India (NCDFI) was registered on December 07, 1970 under the Bombay Cooperative Societies Act (VII of 1925) as extended to the Union Territory of Delhi with its head office in New Delhi.
However, it was only during the year 1984 that it started functioning as the apex body of the cooperative dairy industry. In December 1986, to gain locational advantage, the NCDFI shifted its head-quarters from Delhi to Anand — the milk capital of India. In April 1987, the NCDFI bye-laws were amended to bring it under the provisions of Multi State Cooperative Societies Act.
The NCDFI has 19 Regular Members, 11 Associate Members and National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) as its Institutional Member.